With Easter approaching, I thought bath bombs would be the perfect candy substitute so that I can feel good about giving away treats that don’t contain sugar or create waste. These Easter egg bath bombs are natural and good for you, plus they are a fun gift that isn’t candy and doesn’t have any packaging to be thrown away so they are junk-free in every sense of the word!
Their lovely pastel colors come form all-natural ingredients that are good for skin, so you can rest easy knowing that the beauty of these tub treats doesn’t come from chemicals or anything that could be harmful. In fact, since the colorants are made from herbs and other botanicals, they actually add to the wellness benefits of the recipe!
Easter Egg Bath Bomb Recipe
DIY Bath Bomb Ingredients and Supplies
- 2 cups baking soda
- 1 cup citric acid
- 100% pure witch hazel
- spray bottle
- 10-20 drops of 100% pure essential oils (do not use fragrance for any bath or body products)
- natural colorant (green=spirulina, yellow=turmeric, purple=ratanjot)
- egg-shaped bath bomb mold
How to Make Bath Bombs
2. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of coloring and mix well. Add more coloring if you want a deeper color, but keep in mind that too much coloring will leave a ring in your tub, so go easy. The color will become more pronounced when you add the witch hazel anyhow.
3. Add 20-30 drops of essential oils and mix well.
4. Using an atomizer or spray bottle filled with witch hazel, spray the entire surface of the powder mix and mix with your hands. Keep spraying and mixing rapidly until the mixture holds together when scrunched with your hand (think of making snowballs).
5. Working quickly, firmly press mixture into the molds. Really pack each side tightly and pile more of the mixture in between. Squish the two sides together firmly and set for 10-15 seconds
6. Un-mold them very carefully without twisting, by tapping a bit on the mold to release the bomb. It takes a bit of practice, but with the proper equipment, you will do just fine once you get the hang of it.
7. Let the DIY bath bombs dry for 30 minutes or until they are firm and won’t fall apart.
To create a rainbow of pastel-coloured eggs, there are a number of natural colorants that you can use. These ingredients create beautiful, soft colors and you can feel good knowing that they are healthy for skin, unlike synthetic colors that contain chemicals and various mystery ingredients.
- Green –spirulina, sage powder
- Golden yellow – safflower powder
- Yellow –turmeric
- Orange (yellowish) –annatto seed powder
- Orange (reddish) – paprika
- Pink – madder root
- Purple – ratanjot
- Brown – cocoa powder
It may be tempting to try making these with those plastic snap-apart Easter eggs that are for sale everywhere this time of year. I certainly thought it was a great idea. I was wrong. Those plastic eggs are NOT a good mold for making bath bombs. Not. At. All. They are pretty much impossible to remove from the molds intact, so I ended up with a lot of not-at-all-egg-shaped bath bombs. Which are still great to use in the bath, but not pretty enough to give away as gifts.
Easter Egg Bath Bombs
- plastic molds in and egg shape
- spray bottle
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of coloring and mix well. If needed, slowly add more colour.
- Add 20 drops of essential oils and mix well.
- Use an atomizer or spray bottle filled with witch hazel, then spray the entire surface of the powder mix and mix with your hands.
- Keep spraying and mixing rapidly until the mixture holds together when scrunched with your hand (think of making snowballs).
- Working quickly, firmly press mixture into the DIY bath bombs molds.
- Gently tap the mold so that the bath bomb releases and carefully lay on a towel or tray to dry.
- Let the DIY bath bombs dry for 30 minutes or until they are firm and won't fall apart.
More Posts on Bath Bombs and DIY Natural Skin Care You Will Love!
- Romancing the Bath with Rose Petal Bath Bombs
- Make & Give Home Apothecary – Easy Ideas for Making & Packaging Bath Bombs, Salts, Scrubs & More
- Lavender and Cocoa Butter Bath Melts
- Cleaning Bombs Make Household Chores Easy