Looking for a way to perk yourself up in the morning before you even get that first cup of coffee? Wake up with herbs! Here is an uber-moisturizing, exfoliating sugar scrub recipe that will wake up your skin and your mind with its invigorating rosemary and sweet spearmint scent. Make up a batch of this refreshing scrub to bring a boost to your morning shower routine, or give it away to someone who could use a little lift.
Sugar scrubs are a gentle way to smooth out your skin while adding moisture. They are easy to make with ingredients you have around the house (white or brown sugar and oil). You can use olive oil or coconut oil in this recipe as well, but sweet almond oil is a nice smelling oil good for all skin types, so it is what I usually choose. It is a very moisturizing oil because it is easily absorbed by skin and it makes a nice carrier for essential oils.
Rosemary essential oil has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties good for acne-prone skin. The aroma of rosemary is also purported to increase focus and memory, so it is a great way to wake up your mind and get it ready for the day ahead. Spearmint is gentler than peppermint but still has topical pain-relieving properties, and the fragrance is refreshing and invigorating. Together, the scent combination is uplifting and stimulating for both skin and mind.
For a different (but still invigorating) scent, try my lemongrass and ginger sugar scrub recipe as well.
- 1/4 pint (125ml) jam jars
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup sweet almond oil
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops of spearmint essential oil
- 1/4 tsp spirulina for coloring (optional)
1. In a bowl or large 1 L measuring cup mix all ingredients together.
2. Spoon mixture into small jam jars and smooth out top.
3. Optional: download and print these freebie canning labels to dress them up!