Gnomes have been ostracized for years from garden shows and home gardens. That is until 2013 when the garden-style makers at the Chelsea Flower Show lifted a 100 year-old ban on gnomes, in response to public pressure.
We can put a new face on the humble gnome can we not? He can have a sense of style / a purpose / a cause, can’t he (or she)?
Sole Food is an urban agricultural community dedicated to transforming empty lots into fruitful farming plots, empowering and employing the underprivileged along the way. Now that’s a gnome I can get behind.
So who will be showing off their creative flair by turning a plain garden gnome into a whimsical treasure?
- Andrea Bellamy, HeavyPetal.ca
- Barbara Matson, Hodge:Podge by Markova Design
- Christine Friend, Friendly Decorator
- Coleen Christie, CTV
- Cory Ashworth, 102.7 The Peak
- Dawn Chubai, Citytv
- Jody Vance, Citytv
- Johanna Ward, SHAW TV
- Kaitlyn Herbst, Global BC
- Laurie Logan, 102.7 The Peak
- Monika Hibbs, The Doctor’s Closet
- Stephanie Rose, GardenTherapy.ca (Hey, that’s me!)
- Steve Darling, Global BC
- Todd Talbot, Love It or List It Vancouver
- Mary Zilba, Real Housewives of Vancouver
- 4Cats Art Studio
I’m flattered that they asked me to create a gnome for auction. In true Garden Therapy style, I took inspiration from the garden and a bit of craftiness to create his look.
Check out him out at the BC Home and Garden Show at BC Place Stadium, February 19-23, 2014.
I can’t wait to see what his friends all look like when the show opens today!