Hemp hearts, chia seeds, buckwheat groats, and unhulled sesame seeds —a raw seed mix that will add a power punch of nutrition to your meals. Even better, this healthy treat is added to just about any meal, and can be brought along with you in this handy dandy shaker made out of a mason jar.
Chia seeds. Acai. Goji berries. Kale. Blueberries. Hemp.
We’ve heard the term, but what does it all mean?
We are told we need to eat superfoods for optimal health, and they are all certainly part of my grocery list each week, but on a daily basis, I like to give my meals an extra little boost of healthy goodness.
By now, many people know that chia seeds are much more than the “hair” on your chia pet, and that hemp hearts won’t give you the munchies. But do you know why these ingredients are so good for you? They help to ward off disease, give you energy, make you feel full for longer, and can help you lose or maintain weight.
Here is the lowdown.
- Chia seeds are full of protein, fiber, and omegas that the body can readily use. Just one tablespoon of chia seeds contains 60 calories, 3 grams of protein, 3.5 grams omegas, 5 grams fiber, plus vitamins and minerals.
- Hemp hearts are an easy-to-digest source of complete protein packed with omegas, vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Buckwheat groats effects are due its rich supply of phytonutrients that protect against disease and lower cholesterol. Plus they are another great source of fiber and magnesium.
- Unhulled sesame seeds are packed with quality minerals like copper, manganese, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, molybdenum, and selenium.
This mix of raw seeds is such a convenient way to shake shake shake some healthiness right onto your meals. Add it to salads, soups, stews, curries, sandwiches, cereal, yogurt, desserts and smoothies. You won’t believe how good it tastes and how it adds just the right crunch to many meals. Plus, you will get healthy benefits and stay full longer.
To make the Raw Energy Shaker:
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup unhulled sesame seeds
- jug with pour spout
- 1 mason jar (1 cup / 250 ml)
- 1 Ball herb shaker mason jar lid
Mix the seeds thoroughly in a jug with a spout, then pour into the mason jar. Screw on the Ball shaker lid and you are ready to shake up a healthier meal!