Welcome to the authors of RawEssence: 180 Delicious Recipes for Raw Living, David Côté and Mathieu Gallant to share with us their recipe for Ricotta Roulade.
The outstanding recipes in RawEssence are based on an overall respect for living things and global well-being — which in turn promote a healthy and responsible lifestyle. So much like the whole philosophy of Garden Therapy!
Preparation: 10 minutes
Makes 25 rolls
6 appetizers or 3 main dishes
- 3⁄4 cup Macadamia ‘Ricotta Cheese’ (see below recipe)
- 1 large zucchini
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, cut into 25 very thin sticks
- 1 cup clover or alfalfa sprouts
- Using mandoline, slice zucchini lengthwise into 25 very thin pieces.
- Spread zucchini slices on work surface. Place 11⁄2 tsp (7 mL) of Macadamia Ricotta Cheese on one end of each slice. Place 1 stick of bell pepper on top of ricotta, allowing it to slightly extend past the edge of the zucchini slice. Place a pinch of sprouts on top.
- Roll up each slice starting at the end with the filling. Hold roll in place with a toothpick, if necessary. Arrange rolls on a tray. Serve cold.
Macadamia ‘Ricotta Cheese’
Makes about 12⁄3 cups (400 mL)
Preparation: 10 minutes
Equipment: food processor
- 11⁄3 cups macadamia nuts 325 mL
- 1⁄3 cup water 75 mL
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed 30 mL lemon juice
- 1⁄4 clove garlic 1⁄4
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt 2 mL
- 1⁄8 tsp ground black pepper 0.5 mL
- In food processor, reduce macadamia nuts to small pieces.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend for a few seconds to form an emulsion. The ‘cheese’ will turn white and creamy with small crunchy pieces of nut.
Serve as a dip with raw vegetables, in a salad, on crackers or as a sandwich, either wrapped in lettuce or spread on raw bread.
Excerpted from RawEssence by David Côté and Mathieu Gallant © 2013 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca May not be reprinted without publisher permission.
David Côté is the co-founder and president of Crudessence, specifically in charge of the restaurants. He is also a shiatsu therapist, a living foods chef, a teacher at the living Foods academy and an inspirational speaker. Resides in Montreal.
Mathieu Gallant is the co-founder of Crudessence and Director of the Living Foods Academy. He oversees the development of new creatons and overall food direction and is an experienced yoga and meditation instructor. Resides in Montreal.