I’m a big believer in hand washing as the best way to ward off colds and the flu. If I don’t find myself in a place where I can wash my hands, then I’m glad to have this all-natural hand sanitizer made with aloe vera, witch hazel and Thieves Oil. Store-bought hand sanitizers usually contain alcohol, artificial fragrance, and chemicals. I don’t know about you, but those ingredients sure don’t make me feel clean. This natural alternative packs a big punch at crushing viruses while softening my hands and keeping them free from harsh chemicals.
Since it’s well into cold-and-flu season you may have heard about Thieves Oil, an essential oil blend of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary. The story behind this blend is that a band of fifteenth-century thieves remained in tip-top health despite ransacking the riches from the graves of those who had died from the bubonic plague. When they were captured, they were traded leniency in their sentence for sharing the secret to their impervious health. So the legend of Thieves Oil was born.
Whether you believe the story or not, the benefits of essential oils in boosting immunity and countering germs is much more plausible. I personally prefer a homemade product over one filled with ingredients I don’t recognize and hand sanitizer is one of those products that I love to have a more natural version of. That being said, please recognize that essential oils are potent and can be harmful to some. Thieves Oil contains clove, rosemary, and eucalyptus oils which are not safe for use on small children. Use this hand sanitizer on grown-ups only, please. You can replace clove, rosemary and eucalyptus oils with lavender, sweet orange, and fir oils if you plan to use it around children six months and older (no essential oils are recommended for use with babies younger than six months).
You can buy a Thieves Oil blend or make your own from this recipe.
Homemade Thieves Oil Recipe
(scale up or down as needed)
- 10 drops of Clove Essential Oil
- 9 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 4 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
Makes 1 cup
- 1/3 cup pure witch hazel
- 2/3 cup 100% pure aloe vera gel
- 15 drops Thieves essential oil blend or (5 drops of Clove Essential Oil, 4 drops of Lemon Essential Oil, 3 drops of Cinnamon Essential Oil, 2 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil, 1 drop of Rosemary Essential Oil)
- 1 capsule of Vitamin E oil – a natural preservative
Mix witch hazel and aloe vera gel together in a bowl. Add essential oils and mix well, then open the vitamin E capsule and empty that into the gel. Mix it all together well, then use a funnel to pour it into a pump or other container (I found these Gotoobs that are perfect!).
Shake well before each use. Squeeze a dime-sized amount on the palm of your hand and massage in. It will feel sticky at first but it will absorb cleanly in no time. Your hands will feel dry, clean, and smell terrific. This all-natural hand sanitizer should last several months with the addition of vitamin E to help preserve.
More Posts You Might Like:
- Herbal Roll-On Remedies for Headache, Sleep, and Cold and Flu
- Activated Charcoal Drawing Salve for Bug Bites, Blisters, Splinters, and More
- Natural & Homemade Herbal Common Cold Remedies
- Echinacea Guide: Planting, Pruning, and Caring for Coneflowers