Houseplants can be a creative muse for indoor design projects. They can look a whole lot different than the simply-potted African violet in its plastic nursery pot and foil wrapper. There are indoor plant projects that can accomodate every style, you just have to find what suits you.
There was a time when I killed every houseplant that I brought home. I suppose that it was because I didn’t spend much time or thought caring for them. Most times, they were some common tropical plant with no name that I planted in whatever pot I could find (or that they came in) and set them on a table to be forgotten. Sure, I might have watered them every week or two, whether they needed it or not. And that was enough to keep them alive sometimes, albeit not looking very attractive. Houseplants do need a lot more care than simply remembering to water them. Light pruning, fertilizing, and occasional transplanting will go a long way to keeping indoor plants happy. It’s not all that much work, really, but if you are going to remember to care for your houseplants, then they should fit your lifestyle.
My relationship with houseplants changed dramatically when I started playing with them in design projects. Indoor plant arrangements, creative projects, a wall planter, indoor herbs, a table top water garden, and a living wreath have turned me into an indoor plant aficionado. While my home isn’t a jungle of overgrown tropicals and sprouting spider plants hanging from the ceiling, I do have a number of indoor plants to manage. Each one is a creative outlet and I take joy in caring for them.
Houseplants for Indoor Garden Therapy
If you want to find a way to get your garden therapy indoors, then it’s time to look at what your personal style is and find the plants that are right for you. I’ve started writing a series of articles on houseplants that can help them fit into your life (as opposed to you slaving over their needs!). Some of these articles are here on Garden Therapy, and others I have written for some of the websites and blogs that I contribute to such as Angie’s List and BHG.com. I will continue to update this list, so be sure to bookmark it or pin it to find the plants that are right for you and your style.
- How to Get Your Christmas Cactus to Bloom!
- Summering Houseplants in Beautiful Arrangements
- Nail Polish Marbled Pots to Liven Up Your Houseplants
- Where Gardens and Art Collide: WallFlower Living Frame
- An Eerily Beautiful Indoor Water Garden
- This Lush Living Air Plant Wreath Has a Secret
- How to Keep Air Plants Alive and Healthy (They Might Even Bloom!)
- How to Revive a Sick Air Plant
- These Aren’t Your Grandma’s Houseplants! Indoor Plant Projects for Modern Day Decor
- Create a Gorgeous Pebble Terrarium Garden
- Wait Until You See This Terrarium Night Light!
- Air Plants in Seashells
- Growing Amaryllis in a Jar
- This Vertical Herb Planter Will Spice Up Your Kitchen